How to fill in the habitation tax information (French form nb 1236)?

The tax authorities will send you this 1236 form which must be filled in and returned to the address shown above.

You must fill in the details on this form bearing in mind that they refer to your particular circumstances as on the 1st of January.

Each box contains the details of one property, so for one property only fill in the first box, for an additional property fill in the second box, etc.

The details in the first part of the box concern the property administration number, location, size, etc and will be sent to you already filled in.

The second part of the box contains details about the occupants of the property and you must tick and complete the information that applies to your own circumstances:

  1. You live in the property yourself. If so, is this your main residence (principale) or your second home (secondaire)
  2. Someone else lives in the property. Please write their name and surname, date and place of birth.
    • Write their address if different from the one that is being used for tax purposes. (The person who lives in the property might not necessarily use the address of the property as their main residence and in the case of management and leaseholder companies the address here will be their company’s address)
    • Date on entering the property.
    • Please state if the person living in the property is a student.
  3. The property has been sold. When was the sale completed.

    Please indicate the name and surname of the new owner of the property.
  4. The property is empty and furnished (meublé) or empty and unfurnished (non meublé)
  5. Please state the reasons why the property is empty.
    • You do not have to declare tax if the property is considered uninhabitable, that is to say, it lacks the minimum requirements to live in it, namely running water, electrical system and minimum conditions of health and safety. The tax authorities may require you to produce the necessary documents to prove this.
    • Your property is considered to be vacant if in the near future (maximum of one year) the building will be demolished.
    • You have tried to rent or sell the property at market price but have been unable to find neither a tennant nor a buyer and in spite of your efforts, the property remains empty.

If the circumstances of your property fall into one of these three categories, then you should specify so in this point. Written evidence may be required by the tax authorities.

Date and sign at the bottom of the page, phone number is optional (facultatif)

Haven't found the answer? We can help.

Submit a request

Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.